- NAME: Grace Abbott
- OCCUPATION: Educator, Children’s Activist, Academic Author
- BIRTH DATE: November 17, 1878
- DEATH DATE: June 19, 1939
- EDUCATION: Grand Island College, University of Chicago
- PLACE OF BIRTH: Grand Island, Nebraska
- PLACE OF DEATH: Chicago, Illinois
Born in Nebraska in 1878, Grace Abbott started out as a high school teacher before becoming a leading social reformer. She formed the Immigrants Protective League in 1909. For several years, Abbott fought hard to improve and protect the lives of immigrants in the United States. Abbott moved to Washington, D.C., to head up the Child Labor Division of the Children’s Bureau in 1917. In 1921, Abbott became the director of the Children’s Bureau. She spent her final years as a professor at the University of Chicago. Abbott died in 1939.