- NAME: Doris Duke
- OCCUPATION: Art Collector, Philanthropist
- BIRTH DATE: November 22, 1912
- DEATH DATE: October 28, 1993
- PLACE OF BIRTH: New York, New York
- PLACE OF DEATH: Los Angeles, California
The only child of American tobacco baron, James Duke, Doris Duke was born November 22, 1912, in New York City. When she was born, the press called her “the richest little girl in the world,” but Duke grew to be the most reluctant of celebrities. For over 50 years, she avoided publicity. When she died in 1993, her billion-dollar legacy was left in the sole control of her butler.